As the Global Communications Director at inRiver, Erika Goldwater manages the strategy and execution of the demand generation, communications, social media, and content marketing programs. She has extensive experience in several companies and has learned a lot about leading and teaching her teams about social media mapping, scheduling, and execution
Know your team, where they gained their knowledge and experience so you are able to bring them into your vision.
- Present a plan and show the full strategy.
- Baby steps to explain the steps of what they are, why they need them and how they can implement them.
- There is regular cadence, ground rules. Those need to be known - a guidebook they can refer to when you are not right with them.
"After those first couple of tweets, they feel more comfortable and are usually good to go." - Erika Goldwater
"Meeting a tweet quota is not social media engagement." - Susan Finch
Determine, what are the strategic goals of the company? Don't spend the time peppering venues where your buyers don't usually engage.
- Engagement & Trust
- Further your brand
- Share information value to your customers.
- If you aren't going to do that, please don't start social media.
- It's social dialogue in real-time.
- You have to be dedicated to it. If you don't have a team willing to back you up,
- Teams have to be aligned with the activity - there has to be a commitment to it.
- One tweet, one post - isn't enough.
Be careful about re-tweeting blindly without actually checking and READING the linked article. Same with pinning - where did it originate? Did you read it all the way through? You may get bitten in the fanny if you don't.